Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Java Smashed by Windows server

How could this happen? Well at the JavaZone event this year I earned i nice Java coffe mug from Sun, by having a free espresso. I carefully brought it home and to work afterwards.
Some days ago I brought this mug into my company's server room. I do not know if Windows has something evil inside, or maybe the Compaq server it runs on, but suddenly the front cover falls off and hits my coffe mug. The Mug drops to the floor, and like any other ceramic coffe mug it was cracked.
Maybe Sun should use metal mugs next year!

Having used .Net and Visual Studio for a while, I must say that I miss a lot of features in J2EE. To start with the msdn site is terrible to navigate, so finding information about .Net classes is slow. I I am also bothered with implementations in other languages I am not interested in.
I have developed a Reporting Services Security extension, and compared to writing a JAAS implemtation, I must say that authentication and authorization is not very mature in .Net. Well it works but it's hard to do this in an Enterprise way, sharing contexts across applications and servers.
Deployment on a remote server in .Net? Well that is just hopeless in .Net, and consist of copying files around, or creating an installation app and running the installer on the remote server. I worst case you will have to run the uninstaller for the app each time before you run the installer.

Give me my J2EE back, so I can get revenge for my Java coffe mug!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home