Saturday, May 12, 2007

Did Søren Kierkegard have anything to say to consultants?

This weekend I attended a symposium with my coworkers at Webstep at Sundvolden.
At the symposium a previous colleague, Nicolai Hald (Oak) had an very interesting speech about motivation. At the end he showed us a long slide with a qoutation from Søren Kierkegard. The quotation was about the helpers role. The consultant is helping the customer, and some old wisdom on how to help another person may be quite useful to consultants that often is very busy convincing the customer they can solve all his/her problems and how clever her/his is.

I also gave a speech on how to acheive better unit test coverage of delivable code. Some of my slides was inspired by two posts that also was about helping the customer or other programmers:
How Much Unit Test Coverage Do you need and What Can't who do. I found both these post important, witful and interesting. Nicolai speech has inspired me to explore the subject of helping my customers with acheiving better unit test coverage. My speech was about using available Mock-frameworks like JMock, Shale test and anonymous/inner classes to supply the code under test with it's needed dependencies. I doubt though my speech was as inspiring as Nicolais, especially my was the first one in the morning after long and hard discussion in the bar the nigh before.

In my current project I and 2 other consultants have convinced an longtime hardcode VB programmer to write Unit Tests. At first he was very reluctant, and said someting "we can't do that". Now he even do TDD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home